#RainforestDay

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

It’s #RainforestDay . . .

#RainforestDay

Tropical rainforests are home to about 80% of the world’s known species even though they cover just 6% of the earth’s land surface.

All forests help fight climate change by absorbing carbon dioxide and converting it into oxygen. They literally help our planet to breathe. In fact they absorb about 30% of all the carbon dioxide that humans add to the air each year and they produce about 20% of the oxygen we breathe (the other 80% is produced by microorganisms in the ocean).

When trees are cut down they release all the carbon dioxide they have absorbed back into the atmosphere. Too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is the main cause of “global warming” which as we all know, is harming our planet.

Forests regulate weather, prevent flooding and soil erosion, and provide food, water, shelter and medicine.

Threats facing our forests . . .

  • Commodity-driven agriculture (i.e. palm oil, rubber) – 27%
  • Forestry – 26%
  • General agriculture – 24%
  • Wildfires – 23%
  • 
Urbanization – 1%
The world’s forests are being destroyed at an alarming rate. An area about the size of a football field is cut down every 2 seconds. If the current rate of deforestation continues, the world’s forests could be gone in 100 years. This would cause many of the world’s animals, who depend on them, to become extinct.

So let’s think about our beautiful forests on #RainforestDay and what we can do to help fight deforestation . . .

Avoid products containing palm oil

Many of our every day toiletries and processed foods contain palm oil. The best thing is to avoid buying products that contain palm oil but where you can’t avoid it, choose certified sustainable palm oil products.

Here are some links to help you avoid palm oil when you shop in your country . . .

Palm Oil Score Card

Peel Back The Label

Palm Oil Free

Buy Recycled or certified paper products

Avoid products containing tropical hardwoods, such as mahogany, teak, ebony, rosewood.

Look out for products containing the following forest certified logos. . .

forest certified logo

Create habitats

Plant trees, flowers and grass in your garden (if you have one). Looking after your local creatures is just as important. You’re giving birds and insects a home and providing them with food.

Reduce your footprint

  • Cycle, walk or catch public transport more.
  • Buy locally produced food.
  • Wash your laundry at 30 degrees.
  • Put your thermostat 2 degrees lower and wear a jumper (you’ll be saving money too so a win-win).
  • Switch to renewable (wind, solar) powered electricity suppliers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.